Help make the world more
livable, workable, and playable.
Created Date: January 2022
Development Portfolio Management – Residential
Leadership: Mid-Level Leadership
Construction Estimators are responsible for estimating the work of specific projects. They estimate work by gathering proposals, blueprints, specifications, and related documents. In addition, they estimate labor, material, and time requirements to be able to compute the overall cost of the project. He or she is highly analytical, and their central goal will be to prepare accurate estimate reports for projects by gathering information, analyzing important metrics, and conducting regular risk assessments.
The Estimator will be fluent in mathematics and accounting, with in-depth knowledge of research and data analysis methods and estimation systems. In addition to being an excellent communicator, he or she should be detail orientated with outstanding organizational skills and will provide knowledge of cost and benefits that support profitable business decisions.
The ideal candidate will have excellent numerical skills and an analytical mindset. They must also be thorough and apt in managing relationships with key stakeholders. The goal is to provide detailed reports for the company to make informed decisions that will enhance its profitability and growth.
- Explore documentation in order to gain a deep understanding of the project requirements
- Select, measure, and track important metrics
- Visit sites, warehouses, and other venues necessary to do the estimate
- Perform complex analysis of collected data and metrics
- Prepare relevant and reliable forecasts
- Conduct complex risk analysis activities
- Create and present reports to upper management
- Analyze and evaluate offers
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with the key vendors (subcontractors, suppliers, engineers etc.)
- Collect different quotes from subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers.
- Analyze company data, monitor budgets and prices using software packages.
- Review and assess cost estimates.
- Identify labor, material, costs, and time requirements by researching proposals, blueprints, and any related documents.
- Prepare detailed cost estimate reports.
- Conduct regular risk assessments.
- Oversee the various stages of a company project to ensure that expenses follow the forecast plan.
- Understand the project/program and its requirements
- Determine key variables for cost and other estimates
- Gather first-hand information from sites, warehouses, or other venues
- Conduct research to obtain data on labor costs, materials, production times etc.
- Use software for data analysis, forecasting and budgeting
- Obtain and review offers and quotes by subcontractors or vendors
- Create and submit estimate reports or bids to appropriate persons (project managers, clients, bidding competitions etc.)
- Provide consultation on planning (schedules, workforce needs etc.)
- Present complex and detailed reports to management.
- Analyze drawings and specifications.
- Understand contractual terms and conditions.
- Assemble accurate and well-organized estimates and proposals in a timely manner for Stipulated
- Price, Design-Build and Construction/Project Management formatted projects.
- Provide clear detailed quantity take offs.
- Organize sub-contractor’s quotations, negotiate to ensure quotes meet contract documents and issue proper documented purchase orders.
- Complete Budgeting and Scheduling for projects and track same.
- Monitor progress, requisition change orders and identify any potential risks.
- Provide and maintain unit pricing and database for material and labor costing.
- Formulate cost break down from estimates and for project progress.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- BSc/BA in engineering, construction science or relevant discipline
- Proven experience as estimator or similar position is required
- Familiarity with financial and project management principles
- In depth knowledge of research and data analysis methods and estimation formulas
- Exquisite math and IT ability with an analytical mindset
- Proficient in relevant software (Timberline, ICE, Smart bid and HCSS Heavy Bid). Ability to use CAD programs.
- Outstanding communication and negotiation abilities
- Thoroughness and reliability
- Excellent organizational skills
- Certified Professional Estimator (CPE) will be an asset
- Previous experience estimating projects into the $5+ million range
- Experience in the ICI building sectors of the construction industry
- Experience with estimating software and spreadsheet design.
- Graduate from recognized engineering, architectural or construction management program is an asset.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience working in the construction field in similar or related position.
- In-depth knowledge of project management
- Hands-on experience with complex data research activities
- Good understanding of data analysis methods and KPIs
- Good time-management skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
- Ability to work in an office and in the field in a fast-paced environment with variable working hours.
- Enjoy various challenges with a multitasked position from sales through to the completion of a building project.
- Candidate will have the desire, ability, and ambition to work their way up to an executive management position within the firm