Director of PreConstruction
Created Date: August 16, 2023
Development Portfolio Management – Residential
Leadership: Senior-Level Leadership: Reports directly to the Executive Team and is primarily responsible for the performance and management of pre-construction and estimating services.
At True North Companies, we’re committed to excellence in construction. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional projects that meet our clients’ needs and exceed their expectations. As we continue to expand and take on innovative projects, we’re seeking a talented and forward-thinking Director of Preconstruction to join our team.
The Director of Preconstruction plays a pivotal role in shaping the success of our projects from the very beginning. As the Director of Preconstruction, you’ll be instrumental in the initial envisioning phase, bringing your conceptual site estimating abilities to create a comprehensive budget that aligns with the project’s vision and goals. Your expertise in developing details that may not be fully defined in the architect’s program will be critical in ensuring a holistic approach to budgeting.
- Reinforces True North Companies Mission, Values, and Vision (Colossians 3:23-24)
- Leadership and Mentorship: Daily management, training, and mentoring of pre-construction and estimating staff, fostering collaboration with construction team members.
- Resource Management: Oversight of departmental resources, priorities, and deliverables throughout business development, pre-construction, and construction project phases.
- Service Quality: Accountable for service and product quality for both internal and external clients, ensuring budgets, schedules, qualifications, and scope descriptions are accurate, timely, and clear.
- Internal Coordination: Interface internally to gather input on significant decisions involving internal development and external construction projects.
- Project Execution: Coordinate and supervise day-to-day execution across the entire project lifecycle.
- Collaborative Goals: Work closely with construction management and development leadership to achieve established long-term and intermediate goals, fostering a vibrant company culture and financial success.
- Budget Oversight: Review and coordinate budget maintenance and payment applications from preconstruction to construction stages, including necessary lender submissions.
- Consultant Engagement: Active participation in consultant meetings during preconstruction and construction phases.
- Construction Monitoring: Monitor projects under construction to ensure adherence to preconstruction policies, procedures, contract documents, specifications, and audit requirements.
- Issue Resolution: Anticipate and resolve issues and conflicts that may arise during projects, seeking input from the project team.
- Schedule Alignment: Review and compare construction schedules with preconstruction deliverables to ensure estimates align accordingly.
- Smooth Transition: Manage a seamless transition from preconstruction to construction, ensuring project continuity.
- Budget Development: Responsible for developing preconstruction budgets and monitoring them for all projects.
- Business Development: Active participation in business development activities, including defining project approach, value-add alternatives, differentiators, proposal preparation, and assessing potential client risks.
- Industry Expertise: Serve as the company’s subject matter expert on pre-construction, estimating, and construction costs, staying informed through industry conferences, research, and affiliate groups.
- Subcontractor Relations: Manage and maintain qualified subcontractor and vendor relationships, ensuring the accuracy, reliability, and risk assessment of the subcontractor database.
- Adaptability: Willingness to assume additional responsibilities as directed by corporate executives.
Responsibilities / Details
- Lead and Support Pre-construction Team: Work closely with our Virtual Design & Construction Manager, Chief Estimator, Estimator, Assistant Estimators, and Preconstruction Manager to develop accurate estimates, schedules, and necessary documentation.
- Ensure Quality Control: Manage the quality control process for all preconstruction and estimate work products, ensuring they meet or exceed project, client, and company requirements.
- Collaborate with Project Management: Partner with our project management team to create project budgets, subcontract scope descriptions, project schedules, and logistics plans.
- Monitor Subcontractor Performance: Collaborate with project teams, including Project Executives, Project Managers, and Superintendents, to assess subcontractor performance and ongoing qualification.
- Stay Engaged: Attend business meetings, industry events, and conferences to promote our company and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies.
- Cost Analysis: Prepare and analyze cost models during Concept, Schematic, Design Development, and Bidding phases.
- Strategic Planning: Develop project pre-construction and construction schedules in collaboration with the proposed project executive, project manager, and superintendent for each opportunity.
- Track Progress: Produce progress estimates at design milestones, carefully tracking scope and pricing modifications.
- Lead Strategy Meetings: Take charge of the preconstruction team during strategy meetings to ensure alignment and effective planning.
- Risk Assessment: Perform thorough risk assessments for each opportunity, reviewing these with your supervisor and project manager.
- Scope Development: Manage the development of concise scope packages for project bidders.
- Bid Analysis: Handle the subcontractor and vendor bid analysis process, offering recommendations based on scope, risks, and cost.
- Smooth Transition: Organize and lead transition meetings between the preconstruction team and project operations team to ensure seamless handoffs.
- Continuous Improvement: Participate in lessons learned meetings at the end of projects, representing the department and contributing to our continuous improvement efforts.
- Construction Expertise: Utilize your knowledge of various types of construction, including Type IV construction.
- Fire Resistance Proficiency: Demonstrate expertise in the various types of construction based on materials and building elements’ resistance to fire.
- Self-driven and Independent: Thrives with minimal supervision and takes initiative to achieve objectives.
- Resource and Material Management: Demonstrates effective management of resources to accomplish tasks efficiently.
- Clear Communication: Strong oral and written communication skills for effective interactions.
- Strategic Thinking: Possesses analytical and strategic planning abilities.
- Architectural Expertise: Familiarity with architectural design and planning principles and procedures.
- Interpersonal Excellence: Displays strong interpersonal skills and can collaborate effectively with diverse communities.
- Industry Knowledge: Understanding of construction, architectural, and building firms’ operational practices.
- Data Handling: Capable of gathering data, compiling information, and preparing insightful reports.
- Building Code Acumen: Knowledge of local, state, and federal building codes.
- Financial Management: Familiarity with budgeting, cost estimating, and fiscal management principles.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Educational requirements include: 4-year construction management, environmental design, architecture, or engineering degree (or equivalent)
Experience requirements: Five (5) years’ experience as senior estimator for a commercial or multifamily builder and over ten (10) years of overall experience in estimating or project management as well as involvement of projects being built.
Certifications + Licenses:
- OSHA 10 certified
- LEED Green Associate certification (preferred)
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Strong level proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point & MS Project
- Strong level proficiency in MS Outlook or equivalent
- Strong level proficiency in ProCore or equivalent
- Strong level proficiency in On Screen Estimating tools
- Strong level proficiency in Estimating tools such as Timberline, MC2, ProEst or equivalent
- Proficiency in use of Smart Phones and Tablets including taking and sending photographs, voice memos, accessing cloud-based document storage, communicating via email, adding, and managing attachment