Created Date: May 4, 2023
Leadership: Manager of self
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate to join the team here at True North Companies. The Superintendent position will be responsible for overseeing all activities at the construction site, ensuring a safe and productive work environment, maintaining schedules, and staying within budgetary limits set forth by the estimate. This specific role is for K-12 school construction, and experience in this area is preferred.
We require candidates to have verifiable work experience as a superintendent, along with additional construction experience. Superintendents must have a thorough understanding of schedules and be able to complete projects on time and within budget by tracking variances and cost projections. A proven track record of supervising and coordinating all personnel, including subcontractors and materials, to prevent delays is a must.
The selected candidate must be highly motivated, have a Bachelor’s Degree in construction management or equivalent, and pass drug screening, physical, and criminal background checks.
At True North, we pride ourselves on bringing long-lasting facilities to our clients and providing our employees with the best culture and opportunities. With our in-house education program, you will have access to resources, support, and training necessary to put you on the path to success. Join our team of dedicated professionals and apply today!
- Communicates clearly and reinforces True North Mission, Values, and Vision.
- Responsible for promoting and enforcing safety to all project team members, trade partners, owners, designers, the public, and anyone in contact with our projects.
- Responsible for providing the field staff with the necessary means to enforce all company safety guidelines that go above and beyond OSHA standards.
- Responsible for setting the “Zero Tolerance Safety Standard” example to the entire project team.
- Responsible for fast-tracking schedule development and maintenance and understanding the status of all critical components daily. Supervise total construction effort to ensure the project is constructed by design, budget, and schedule. Includes interfacing with client representatives, government officials, other contractors, etc.
- Supervises and manages direct reports, subcontractors, and suppliers on a Project, monitoring performance and providing feedback. This includes clearly understanding internal lines of reporting and all line manager / direct report relationships and respecting them accordingly. Communicate with (or to) individuals or groups verbally and in writing (e.g., customers, suppliers, employees). Maintain relationships with all stakeholders to ensure needs are met, and problems/conflicts are resolved.
- Clearly understands all facets of the assigned Project (s), working closely with the Project Manager and other team members to clearly understand how the Project was estimated, including the overall project schedule, the basis of the estimate, labor and resource constraints, job cost allocation, subcontract awards, purchase orders and broad scope of work and specifications for a Project including all inclusions and exclusions, and value engineering options if any
- Work closely with local inspection departments to develop a good working relationship and understand all local requirements that may impact the successful delivery of a project
- Organizes, coordinates, and supervises the work of the assistant superintendent, field engineers, craft employees, and all subcontractors on construction projects. Acts as an adviser to the owner, design team, and all tradesmen associated with the project.
- Determines work priorities and coordinates work activities with all necessary parties to ensure that the project remains efficient and on schedule.
- Oversees the terms and conditions of construction contracts.
- Apportions work among employees and subcontractors according to project needs and coordinates work to maintain a smooth flow among the various trades.
- Introduces new trades to the projects as the project requires them and collaborates with the management of the various trades to ensure the work is conducted in a manner consistent with the project plans and specifications.
- Provides a safe work environment by creating a culture of safety for the project and holding everyone on the project accountable for safe behavior. Regularly holds safety meetings and ensures that the company’s safety policies are enforced.
- Works as a liaison to the owner and coordinates plans and construction activities with the owner.
- Sources material suppliers for consumables to construct the project and estimates materials required for specific jobs. Orders materials and coordinates deliveries of materials to coincide with construction progress. Ensures that the materials for construction are on the project site as required and stored in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Coordinates materials are staging areas between the various trades and monitors material deliveries.
- Maintains inventory and control over the project’s tools, materials, equipment, and security.
- Writes and maintains a project’s daily record in detail through daily reports. Communicates those reports to the office daily.
- Holds, at minimum, weekly coordination meetings between all subcontractors who are currently on site and any that will be on site soon. Coordinates workflows, safety, environmental concerns, workforce requirements, materials requirements, and overall schedule through these meetings.
- Is responsible for the overall project schedule. Writes and maintains short-term interval schedules for the use and review of all trades on the project. Included are all phases of work that are current and applicable. Maintains overall project schedule through the implementation of the short-term interval schedule.
- Is responsible for quality control and holds all works accountable for adherence to the project plans and specifications. Hold pre-installation meetings to review installation procedures for all significant materials used and thoroughly understand the project specifications and industry standards for installation of all materials. Pre-installation meetings include manufacturers’ representatives, required design team members, affected subcontractors, and, if necessary, the owner’s representative. Assures that the work adheres to the project plans, specifications, codes, and other governmental agencies’ requirements. Coordinates inspections and ensures that testing is being performed per the contract documents.
- Maintains project budget through management of all labor associated with the project. Tracks and monitors the labor force for productivity.
- Manages company and rental equipment for maximum productivity and minimum cost.
- Keeps accurate records of time for employees, accurately codes the time to complete tasks, and reports time to the office promptly.
- Coordinates and facilitates the closeout of the project. Is responsible for ensuring that all punch list items are completed promptly, and that the owner is satisfied with both the quality and timeliness of the project as it is completed.
- Maintains a good relationship with the project manager and works as a team to complete the project.
- Act as a mentor for subordinates and regularly reviews their performance and make recommendations for improvements and wage adjustments.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret business documents, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situation.
- Proficiency in computer usage is necessary, including familiarity with Windows-based applications like Word, Excel, scheduling, and job costing software. Additionally, knowledge of industry-specific software such as SmartBid and Procore is preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability, statistical inference, plane fundamentals, solid geometry, and trigonometry.
- Must know and follow the company’s safety policies and procedures.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year College or University
- Minimum of 10 years related experience and training.
- OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the construction industry, specifically in the role of a superintendent
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents and blueprints
- Knowledge of construction materials, methods, and processes
- Proficient in using computers and software such as Smart Bid and Procore
|Always||Vision abilities: close, distance, color & peripheral vision; depth perception; adjust focus|
|Frequently||Required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel|
|Occasionally||Work indoors for extended periods.|
|Occasionally||Work in a quiet environment|
|Occasionally||Lift and move up to 25 pounds, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop or kneel.|
|Frequently||Work in outside weather conditions|
Benefits + Paid Time Off
When you want the best team, you offer benefits accordingly. Competitive pay, a family atmosphere, and excellent benefits are part of our culture of celebrating and appreciating our people.
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with guaranteed match
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid time off
- Holiday pay
Additional Benefits for this position:
- Company truck and fuel card
- Company-provided laptop
- Company-provided cell phone
- Annual performance increase
- Company Apparel
- Safety Incentives for Field Employees
- Milestone Anniversary Gifts
- Company Events (Picnics, Christmas parties, etc.)